We conducted industry research on Remote Monitoring & Management (RMM) software for Managed Service Providers (MSPs), Value Added Resellers (VARs) and IT support organizations and the results have proved to be very interesting indeed.
- Almost half (47%) of MSPs state that it takes over one month to be fully up and running with their Remote Monitoring and Management software. 20% say it takes 6 months or longer to be fully set-up and running.
- 45% of IT Support companies and MSPs state the initial investment in RMM software is too high.
- 42% say the ROI never meets their expectations.
- 53% state they pay for areas of the system they don’t use.
- Ultimately, only 4% actually use the whole RMM system. In fact, 56% say they only use half the available functions of the software.
- The most valued features of RMM, according to respondents, are Server Monitoring, LAN & Windows Monitoring, Patch Management and Remote Support.
- The top reasons for using RMM are to offer a faster fix response time and to offer preventative maintenance.
- When it comes to training technicians, 41% say it takes longer than one month to fully train technicians about the system with some 15% stating it takes longer than 6 months.
- Over half (56%) of respondents admit their staff don’t have time to learn the whole RMM system. And, of those who do try to learn the full system, 40% of IT Support Managers think their technical teams get too buried in the detail of RMM tool deployment and lose focus on customers.
The global industry research survey on RMM software was conducted online during June 2009. The survey interviewed over 200 IT Support Companies and Managed Service providers about their satisfaction with the installation and running of RMM software, the necessary training, the pricing models and return on investment.